Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Monday, August 22, 2005

An Apology From Steve Finley?

Well, we're finally nearing the moment of truth. Mike Scioscia will soon be making a decision about changing the composition of the team's outfield for the remainder of the season. The blogosphere has been chatting about it, the print media has been hinting about it, and now even Angels website is preparing the fans for possible changes.

"It is not what I expected, " Finley stated.

Well, it's not what we expected either.

Ever since he was signed in the off season, I have heard nothing but great things about the current Angels center fielder. I'm not a Dodger fan, but I am a baseball fan. Even I got goose bumps watching him hit that grand slam last year to catapult his team into the playoffs. During our annual spring training trip to Tempe, Diamondback fans kept telling us what a great player he was. "You're gonna really like his style of play, " we were told.

So after waiting in Godot-like fashion for his bat to come alive, the fans have finally become impatient. - And to make matters worse, just a couple of days ago he insulted the Angel fans saying, "...they don't know baseball."

Well, as you may have read below, photo day was yesterday - the day after his quote was published. Most of the players made an appearance, but it did not appear that Finley was among them. At first, I thought maybe he was going to pull a Guillen. (refusing to participating in photo day was the beginning of the end for Jose last year.)

Finally, an announcement was made that Finley had made his way to the field. I could tell he was getting closer because the heckling was getting louder as other fans spotted him. ("Hey Finley, you suck!" "You suck Steve!" etc.)

As he made his way past me, I asked him if he was going to apologize for his statement about the fans. He never really stopped moving (being prodded by the PR folks to move along), but he walked back toward me and asked me to repeat what I said.

I said, "Steve, you're going to apologize right? - For your quote?"

He walked right up to me and asked me to clarify.

"To the Angel fans who do know baseball. I look forward to your apology. "

Apparently, he wasn't feeling repentant, as he just clapped his hands together loudly and stated, "Thanks for that!" and he sulked away.

Even though he later had a spectacular catch against the centerfield wall and went 2-4 with an RBI against Schilling in the ninth inning, it appears (like his RBI) to have been too little too late.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home