Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

How to send me hate mail

Look guys, if you are going to send me hate mail, at least spell it right. Y'all would be amazed at my hate mail. Untill recently, most of it came from Jeff fans who thought I should be more supportive. Seriously, that's who usually enjoys sending me hate mail. And honestly, "hate" is a strong word to describe most of it, it's exactly what you'd expect for hate mail written by the basically nice people who are usually Jeff fans. "You were mean!" "You should be more supportive" "How can you call yourself a Jeff fan?"

Recently, I've gotten a nice string of hate mail from people who find it hard to live in a world where anyone is walking around thinking that Jeff is a decent player. Feeling the same way about a certain short-lived Angel who is now with Atlanta, I understand.

I know that I should just ignore it. But I find such blatant illiteracy difficult to ignore. And I admit that I am puzzled by people who spend a good chunk of time sending me hate mail (often laced with difficult-to-decipher descriptions of what the particular Jeff-hater would do to me or thinks others should do to me in an alley) when they could have spent that time leaving my site and forgetting it existed. Or actually reading more and finding out that this site is only somewhat about baseball and is more about the on-going struggle between my inner fangirl and my logic-bound mind. Being a fan is supposed to be an experience free of logic, but I can't seem to get to that place. I don't do blind devotion all that well.

I have bet on a risky horse. I'm not blind. Sometimes my horse doesn't win, or even show up. It's more fun that way.

I don't have a problem with anti-Jeff mail. It isn't my favorite, but people have a right to their opinion. I'm not a good person to debate though, because I'm not a stats-wonk. My argument is always going to be that I like Jeff, and I like watching him play, and I like rooting for him. That isn't an assertion that we can really debate about. But send it if it makes you feel better. But if the only thing you can come up with is to dismiss me and my opinion outright because I'm a woman, and then contend that I deserve to be sexually assaulted because of my opinions, then don't e-mail me that. Say that to my face so that I can kick your ass in exactly the way you deserve. Normally I'd just ignore the trolls, but there are several of these freaking idiots and it pisses me off when people manage to be misogynistic, mean-spirited, Jeff-haters, and poor spellers all at once.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home