Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

F v F

Rumour has it that Finley is on the bench from this point forward, to be replaced by Figgins in CF. I am both happy and sad at this news. I am glad to see Finley gone. But I do not consider Figgy an appropriate long-term CF candidate. He manages fine, don't get me wrong. But I'd rather see Juan, or Jeff, or even Q, or anyone else except GA or Figgy out there. Figgins is an infielder who can hold his own as an outfielder. But over time, he costs outs and runs. He just can't cover the territory and doesn't have the arm. I understand that there are defensive sacrifices you make to create the offense you need, but Figgins is a naked emperor. His hitting and OBP isn't what we all imagine it to be. Figgins has gotten this mystique, and I like the guy, don't get me wrong. But he is not what we think he is. All those teams who wanted to trade but wanted Figgins? We should have taken them up on it.

Finley did not even appear in the dugout untill the 7th inning. We started to wonder if he'd been sent somewhere, or put on the DL afflicted with suck again. But I guess he just wanted to be alone. I don't blame him. Josh Paul was in the dugout, obliterating my nascent theory about "the Josh Paul factor" and his presence having a measurable impact in the W/L ratio of the team.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home