Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Friday, a good day for Jeff fans

Friday was a pretty good day for DaVanon fans. He had a respectable showing in his start at Center against the Cubs, including a beautiful bunt that rolled right along the foul line without going over. This was also his first hit of the year from the right (mostly because he usually gets pulled if there is a lef-handed pitcher). I was distressed to spy him in the outfield spitting repeatedly, making me think he switched off his usual bubblegum for dip. Bad move Jeff! He also had a nice steal.

Jeff's well-deserved start and Anderson's return to the lineup has left Salmon in the unusual predicament of not being an everyday player. He isn't thrilled about it. As he told the LA Times:
"I've been an everyday player. I'm the type of player who needs to get at-bats and then I come around...I know what kind of player I am, and hopefully I'm given the opportunity to be that kind of player. If I'm not used as that kind of player, then I'll reevaluate the situation."


I'd expect that sort of unintelligable quote (5 imaginary points if you can tell me what the hell he means in that statement) in a live interview on TV or the radio, but print journalists are actually really forgiving about going for what you intended to say instead of what you actually said. So the above has probably been edited to make it as understandable as the reporter possibly could, and it is still a mess. But is he threatening something at the end there? What a cheesebag.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home