Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Not that it did any good

Jeff played OK yesterday, had a homerun and a single and didn't do anything to embarrass me in the outfield.

But that was far less than was required to help the Angels win the game. Keith reported that after the homerun that was hit off of Frankie, Jeff leaned against the wall and shook his head-- if Frankie is giving up homeruns, it just isn't the Angels' day.

Jeff has been the subject of much debate today. I'm not entirely sure why. I do feel like he is the 3rd out more than is healthy, but I've always thought that's because I am hyperaware of each of his at-bats, and can't properly place them in context. But of all the subjects worthy of debate at this point for the Angels, Jeff doesn't really seem like he should be high on that list. Should he have more at-bats than he does now? Possibly, but at-bats don't grow on trees, they would need to come at someone's expense. Who's expense? Salmon's? Maybe, but maybe not, *neither* of them has shown to me that they are the answer to the Angels' particular problem of late. In fact, my completely unscientific comparisons between them the last few weeks has me thinking that they are evenly matched in terms of what they are truly producing in game situations. Neither has been hitting better than the other, neither has been hitting for much more power than the other. Neither has been performing better than the other in clutch or pinch-hit situations. I could run the numbers on all that, but I hate stats.

At the end of the day, Jeff is a solid player who has earned his spot, and a chance at a few more at-bats. I'm not really clear on how anyone could argue with that unless Jeff like, slept with their sister, or something. He is also cheap. His overall value to the team at this point is pretty high because he produces, doesn't fuck up, and is cheap.

What do the Angels need right now? They've never really recovered from the beating they took during interleague. Dropping games to the Indians is just inexcusable.

I think they need to make at least one, if not two additions to the current team. Most desperately needed is a pitcher. Probably a starter. An extremely good one. It also wouldn't hurt to get a real 3rd baseman. That isn't likely because there is no other place for Figgins in the lineup, and Vlad wants Figgins in the lineup. Maybe a centerfielder (did I just say that) allowing GA to only DH, putting Salmon out to pasture.

But so much of what the team is missing couldn't be helped by the aquisition of anything less than a star. They seem offstep, out of tune with each other and the game, sloppy. I can't remember the last time the Rally Monkey resulted in an actual winning Rally.

I grew up in Illinois. I've seen the wheels fall off a team that should be doing great before-- and the Angels team is starting to resemble nothing so much as that.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home