Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Friday, June 18, 2004

same stuff, different day

So Jeff is called on to pinch hit with 2 men on and 2 outs. Classic clutch situation. I am so nervous *for him* that I have to stand up and go to the other room and peek around the corner to watch the TV. It's the same thing I have to do during scary movies. God I hate this game. I hate the stress. I hate pinch hitting.

And he takes strike one.

And he likes the next pitch and hits it high, and deep, and it keeps going ang going and going, and it goes deep into the uperdeck of the stands-- foul.

This sucks. This game sucks. This all sucks.

So the count is 0-2, but my Jeff works himself into a nice 3-2 full count, showing that discipline that we all love in him and love to see.

And then he does something that to me betrays a tiny character flaw...

he takes the 3-2 pitch looking, and is certain that he was walked and way pissed when it is called a strike.

This tells me that he doesn't want the pressure, that he's a buck-passer, that he isn't in the right frame of mind to be a pinch hitter. In this situation, with 2 outs-- if you can hit it, shouldn't you hit it? If you are going to go down, don't you go down swinging, fighting, trying to make something happen?

Even if that last pitch had been a ball, I still don't think he made the right call.

But what the heck do I know? I couldn't even watch.

The only good thing was seeing Quinlan at 3rd. I think I like it, it seems good. Now if he could just hit something.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home