Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Sunday, June 13, 2004

and catching the first ball is...

That's right, Jeff had the kiss-of-death job last night and caught the honorary first ball. This is because the Cubs starting pitcher was left handed, and as we all know, Jeff is completely incapable of batting against a left-hander. He can't bat right, he just can't, he's partially blind in his left eye or something. Sometimes when I'm bored I try to come up with legitimate reasons for never letting Jeff bat right and that's the best one I've come up with. Salmon went about trying to prove that he's not getting "enough" at-bats and was unimpressive.

The Angels lost. Halter started at first which gives me hope that Kotchman is going to be sent back down and we'll get to see more of Quinlan/ Halter/ or maybe my cat. Any one of which would be an improvement. If my cat were the son of a scout ( and a little taller) I have no doubt he'd be playing first right now, and doing a better job. I think Kotchman will eventually be very good, but right now we all have a nickname for him that should be self evident. And he just doesn't seem focused, he doesn't play with intensity. He reminds us a bit to much of Garrett Anderson, and not in the good way, but in the lollygagging way.

for the dogs
edited because I am calendar-challenged

Jeff is the proud owner of some breed of dog that you wouldn't want to encounter in a dark alley. I guess he is totally nuts about this dog. His neighbor sat behind us at one of the spring training games we attended and all he talked about with his companion was Jeff's dog (to the point where I had decided it was his letter carrier and not his neighbor, but my husband says neighbor). There was a cute picture in the paper of Jeff petting one of the fan's dogs when the team played the White Sox on "take your dog to the ballpark" day. On Saturday I spotted him taking a break from his warm-up to pet one of the police dogs that was parading around the track as part of "salute to law enforcement" day in Anaheim.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home