Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

stats people make up

Well I've been more popular today that I would have expected.
(perhaps, like Jeff, I will experience a brief surge in popularity followed by an inevitable backlash)

Thanks to the lovely folks at The Chronicle and Pearly Gates for linking to me. There was blushing and stuff when I found out, really, I swear.

I spent a good long time yesterday trying to figure out what the heck OPS was. When I asked my husband he was all "do you mean OBP, 'cause that's.." at which point I stopped him because I know what OBP is. He didn't know OPS either, so we looked it up together, and I've already forgotten because it didn't seem all that useful. No wait, I remember, it's OBP plus Slugging % (had to have husband explain slugging percentage again.)

Anyway, in Pearly Gates' post about my sad little site here he mentions the following stats:
OPS
VORP
RC/G
GPA

tell me you are making some of that stuff up! And who cares what his GPA was-- hasn't he graduated already? Seriously though, I have no idea what you are talking about, and I'm not even sure I want to learn because this is all starting to look like math and how can anything with this much math in it be fun? Do you know why girls aren't into baseball? This is why! Just when we think we know what is going on, you create a new stat just so we can be lost again.

VORP-- is this Victim Of Red Pony? Velocity OR Percentage? Victory Over Role Player?
RC/G-- Racing Catches per Game? Running Cats per Grandma?
GPA-- Gross Pimple Antidote? Good Plate Apperances?


Comments:
"Just when we think we know what is going on, you create a new stat just so we can be lost again."Wait, how did you figure it out? Were you spying on us at our last meeting?

VORP= "value over replacement player" tells you how much better Jeff is then a guy like Alfred Amezaga.

RC/G= "runs created per game" shows how many runs the Angels would score if they had nine Jeff DaVanons in the lineup.

GPA= "gro... you know what, forget it. You don't want to know. Keep up the good work.
 
Post a Comment


Slide back to Home