Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Friday, September 10, 2004

Arrggh!

My husband confessed to me last night that he's known all along the secret to beating the Angels.

And I fear that Toronto kidnapped him and forcibly extracted that information from him. Or maybe they bugged our apartment. Or maybe the Canadian government can monitor our thoughts!

Or maybe the 'Jays just noticed the same thing my husband did-- the A-team can't hit offspeed pitches. Throw 90% curve balls and change-ups and other slow-ass things and we'll go down. Guys, I really appreciate your looking out for my financial well-being by making sure that the charge I authorized to keep our seats during the playoffs will never come to fruition, but seriously, don't worry about me. I have blood plasma I can sell. And My Little Ponies I can eBay. And probably some extra Jeff autographs lying around. I don't need this kind of help!

Allow me to take this moment to point out a statistical bit that could, in the wrong hands, be twisted to make a certain point. I would never ever do this. But have you noticed that recently we seem to win the games that Jeff plays in and lose the ones he doesn't? I think we're something like 10-1 with him playing in the game in the last few weeks.

Something else I want to look at is Jeff's number of games played. The Angels' stats page shows him having played in 89 games this year. I'm a little concerned about this. Last year he played in 123 games and still found himself in this disappointing situation where he missed qualifying for arbitration by the skin of his teeth. It is looking like, once again, Jeff will get a pay bump only due to his extra year of service. It isn't like his salary is anything to sneeze at for the rest of us. But he plays, he contributes, he hits for the cycle, he sells t-shirts (Figgins didn't even have t-shirts untill midway through the season), it is too bad that (if I understand this mysterious arbitration situation corerctly) we will continue to pay him per season about what we paid Mondesi per game.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home