Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Monday, October 04, 2004

Roster Predictions

On the long drive home last night, my husband and I tried to predict the 25 man playoff roster. I don't know if this is the final one we decided on, but it's what I'm going with for now (note that I lack an expert understanding of the rules for being on the 25-man roster):

Lackey
Colon
Escobar
Washburn
Rodriguez
Shields
Percival
Donnelly

all no-brainers

Molina
Molina
Paul *

Paul has the distinction of being MVP: Most Vulnerable Player. It makes no sense to hang onto a 3rd catcher who doesn't hit all that well when your other 2 catchers are feeling good. But I predict they'll hang on to him because of his team-building personality. Plus, I don't think you cut a guy off the roster who has been on it all year, unless he is Kevin Gregg in which case I would encourage it.

Erstad
Figgins
Eckstein
Amezaga
Quinlan

The only thing interesting here is the return of Quinlan, and hashing out who will play what position. By my information D-Mac is not eligible for the playoff roster, but I could be wrong

Riggs
DaVanon
Pride
Anderson
Guerrero

Pride made a very strong argument for himself this last weekend, and I think he'll stick around. Riggs would normally be questionable, but I think Mike likes matching him up against LHP instead of Jeff. I'd like to suggest a truly novel idea-- what if Jeff batted left agains LHP??

Glaus
duh
Kotchman
I don't know, he could be sacrificed for another pitcher
Hensley (not sure if he was recalled in time)
I don't know that he was on the roster in time to be on the playoff roster. But if he was, then I predict we'll see him over Gregg. Or maybe that is wishful thinking.
Ortiz
He's been a solid reliever. If a bit whiny.

People missing from my roster who could show up:
Halter the horror! But he is experienced, and did once pinch hit a grand slam for us earlier in the year.
Sele much like a squirrel with nuts, baseball teams like to store-up pitchers for cold times.
Gregg because maybe the "real" him is the one from the start of the season, also the squirrel/nuts thing again
Mondesi made you look!


Well, that was a fun, if pointless, endeavor.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home