Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

bits, pieces, things like that

We uncovered another use for Jeff in Chicago... landing pillow for a flying Molina

I feel sort of bad for Scot Shields. He's a great late-inning relief pitcher, we are so lucky to have him, but I don't think even his rubber arm is designed to be used every freaking day. Seriously, it doesn't seem responsible or fair to unleash him from the bullpen every day.

I don't really understand why there is controversy about Erstad's play at the plate. Would there be so much controversy if people couldn't so easily add to the conversation the paranthetical "former football player with the Nebraska Cornhuskers"? Is it ever a player's goal to seriously F up another player's body and career, hell no. Was Erstad's move a cheap shot? You are kidding me! He scored the run, he had 2 choices, take a chance on a slide or take a chance on knocking the ball out, he picked the one with better odds at the time. This is how the game is played, am I wrong? There is a rule that the baserunner isn't out if the defender drops the ball, and this is the consequence of the rule. I just don't get it. Then again, if the situation were reversed, I guess I wouldn't be a terribly happy girl. I can't imagine Scioscia, legendary for blocking the plate like a wall, having any sympathy for a catcher on the losing end of a play like that. And look! There is in fact a quote:
"I never got upset when anyone hit me at home plate. I can only tell you about Darin Erstad and his integrity and how hard he plays the game and how clean he plays the game. His integrity wouldn't let him do anything that was out of the bounds of what sportsmanship is." -- Angels manager Mike Scioscia on the eighth-inning collision at home plate


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home