Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Women's Hockey

Both the US and Canada are well along the path towards yet another gold medal game. I'm overly invested in this because (I'm proud to say) three members of the US team are alumnae of my high school. This includes three-time Olympian Angela Ruggerio, who after graduating from my high school and Harvard, shouldn't be trying to get on the Apprentice for something to do after hockey.

In related reading, an analysis of why women should be able to compete equally in Ice Hockey... which is somewhat undercut by a press release from my high school which states that the Olympic team was scrimmaging high school men's teams to prepare for the Olympics, and they seemed to be loosing to the boy's teams with regularity.

Last year I had this recurring nightmare that Major League Baseball had decreed women needed to be on the teams and for some reason I was trying to get on the Angels. I sucked (this is what made it a nightmare) but they wouldn't let me quit. I've often wondered why baseball hadn't gone co-ed, but I tend to forget that physics is only part of the hitting-the-ball equation, and upper-body-strength is the main component.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home