Watching Jeff DaVanon

Watching Jeff DaVanon

A weblog devoted to #55 of the Anaheim Angels, Jeff DaVanon. How is he doing? Is he getting his due respect yet? Let's watch and see...

Monday, July 26, 2004

Ouch!

So Jeff is on the DL with back spasms. As long as he wasn't really put on the DL with suckiness, I guess there's not much to say. Although he picked the wrong time, with GA day-to-day and Vlad still recovering from his hit. It's never good when they bring up Alfie to take your place.

The good news is that Quinlan is finally getting a chance to shine. I'd like to see Quinlan play 3rd every day and see Figgins at short. I know some would find this sugestion tantamount to treason, but I harbor no sentimental attachment to the player "who does the most with the least".

Also shining, or at least contributing, is Josh Paul. I know that his continued presence on the roster confuses a lot of people, so I thought I'd put forth my theory.

1) Sciosca likes catchers, likes having extra catchers, and at the end of the day is always going to take care of a catcher.

2)At the start of the season, Benjie was much more questionable than anyone was admitting. And Josh had a really good spring training. Also, other teams were interested in him.

3)Josh Paul has an X-factor.

The 3rd point is the most important. When I was in a theatre as a stage manager, it was common that the casting of a play had more to do with who we wanted to work with than with who had the most talent. Talent came into the equation, but the character, work habits, and personality of an individual also factored heavily. Each production could only have so many "difficults" -- be it a diva, a chronomically challenged individual, or a "I always learn my lines by opening night"-er. Too many difficult individuals and the production would collapse on itself no matter the level of talent. Or it would be successful, but it would prove a nightmareish experience that would taint everyone associated with it. Every once in a while, you'd encounter someone who didn't even bring that much to the table as an actor, but was so outstanding an individual, and often instrumental in raising the spirits and level of everyone around them in a catalytic way, that you simply manufactured excuses to keep him or her around.

I think at this point, Josh Paul is that guy who works hard, never complains, and moreover, through his good humor and teamwork acts as a catalyst in the team. Nothing that any of us can see on paper or on our screens explains his continued presence. But I think everyone likes him, and maybe if he was designated for assignment, the team would lose the one thing they all agree on.

Maybe he's a luxury they can ill afford. But I think about how much my job would suck if the one person I liked didn't work there anymore, and I conclude I can cut the team some slack on this issue. I'd probably try to keep him around too. And he did do well in Tempe.


Comments: Post a Comment


Slide back to Home